Background

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Granola


I'm a bit of a purest. I don't know if it's the Scandanavian blood that runs through my veins or the fact that I grew up with a father who didn't want to eat anything other than meat and potatoes, but whatever the reason, I have a pallet that is not particularly refined. Therefore, I'm always looking for plain, simple foods to combine into something amazing. This morning I was craving a yogurt parfait... the strawberries in the fridge were begging to be used and I had time to kick back and bake a little. I came across this granola recipe the other day and thought I'd give it a try... really glad that I did!

Ingredients

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
5 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup dried milk
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 375° Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl and set aside. Mix brown sugar, vegetable oil and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly. Pour syrup over dry mixture and mix until completely coated. Lay mixture onto a jellyroll pan and bake for 10-12 min stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and allow the granola to cool in the pan. You can add other ingredients to it at this point such as raisins, almonds, or dried cranberries, but as I said earlier, I'm a purest! When it is cool, store in an airtight container and use however you would like! This recipe makes about 5 cups : )

No comments:

Post a Comment